The decision has been made. Joris Kayembe will strengthen the Genk defence. He has signed a three-year contract with an option for an additional year. In recent seasons, Kayembe, who has appeared 116 times for the club, has become a key performer at left back at Sporting Charleroi. The 28-year-old Belgian with Congolese roots played in 30 games for the Carolos this season, scoring once and adding one assist.
Left back is the only position with a lack of depth this season in Wouter Vrancken's squad. There will be a lot of competition again next season, both in the domestic league and on the European stage. The two-time Belgian international is therefore the ideal reinforcement for our defence. He will offer competition with Arteaga at left back, but he is also an extra option for our coach at a left-sided centre back.
“Joris has been on our wish list for a while now. As an extra left-footed player, he is the missing puzzle piece in our defence. Joris is the personification of our footballing philosophy of playing attractive and attacking football that we work on throughout the club. I hope that he can develop further as a player under Wouter's guidance and that he will be able to fully participate in our attractive style of play”, says Head of Football Dimitri de Condé with satisfaction.
- Our European fairy tale ends in Madrid: Our U-19s fall to Atlético
- Wilson Da Costa (15) signs his first contract
- A massive tie: Genk’s U-19s to meet Atletico Madrid in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Youth League
- Genk’s U19s reach the UEFA Youth League Round of 16 after a penalty thriller against Juventus!
- Bilal signs through 2027
- Kelvin John joins the first team