Party at the youth academy! A week after the U-21s, our U-18s can now also call themselves champions of Belgium. They convincingly defeated their closest pursuer, Club Brugge, 4-1 and cannot be caught in the last round.
What was needed in this game was one point, and our young Genkies could be certain of the title if they won. Mika Godts took some of the nerves away within the first fifteen minutes with a perfectly placed shot (1-0). A second goal seemed to be coming, but Club Brugge gradually came back into the match, and goalkeeper Mike Penders saved twice. In this way we were able to go into the break with the same narrow 1-0 lead.
Early in the second half, captain Sofiane Et-Taïbi converted a penalty. Bilal El Khannouss, who had been impressive throughout the whole game, would then make it 3-0 with a delicious effort from the edge of the penalty area. Mika Godts would score a second time, and the visitors didn't get any closer than a late consolation goal.
Congratulations to the entire group of players and coaches Jan Wuytens and Roy Gerits for their wonderful season, capped with a deserved national title!
This title also gives the team a place in the UEFA Youth League next season, for what will then be the U-19s.
- Our European fairy tale ends in Madrid: Our U-19s fall to Atlético
- Wilson Da Costa (15) signs his first contract
- Bilal signs through 2027
- A massive tie: Genk’s U-19s to meet Atletico Madrid in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Youth League
- Genk’s U19s reach the UEFA Youth League Round of 16 after a penalty thriller against Juventus!
- Kelvin John joins the first team